Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 21012

Law 3 - Number of Players 3/22/2009

RE: REC Under 13

david of mesquite, tx usa asks...

Called PK coach I thought wanted to sub his keeper. I did not let him have the sub. At half he said he wanted to switch his keeper with a field player. Two questions could he have subed his keeper for a bench player and can he switch his keeper for a field player? Thanks for the help your site is great!!!!

Answer provided by Referee Richard Dawson

Hi David,
as long as a referee is informed the SWITCH of a field player with the keeper it is NOT a substitution and should be allowed!
It will DEPEND on league substitution policy whether one can SUBSTITUTE for a keeper from the bench! Pks are often stated as a non substitute option! This is modified law allowed by FIFA policy!

A pk which by FIFA defnition is in fact a stoppage for allowing a substitution but generally the substitute is not at the mid line and the available number of subs must not be exceeded at that point.

Interestingly enough there is a clause that AFTER a match is over in extended PKs or KFTPM that if a keeper is INJURED and there are substitutes available a substitution can be allowed. Given there is UNLIMITED substitution in youth the league bylaws will often regulate the times when a substitution can be made. However a field player could switch with the keeper if injured and then be replaced by a substitute keeper at the next acceptable stoppage.

Read other questions answered by Referee Richard Dawson

View Referee Richard Dawson profile

Answer provided by Referee Keith Contarino

A keeper change with a field player may be made at any stoppage of play even when playing under youth modifications. That doesn't change. Whether or not the coach would be allowed to bring in a substitute for the keeper at the taking of a penalty kick will depend on your area's modifications of Law 3 if any. If your area plays by FIFA rules a substitution may be made at ANY stoppage. Some localities have adopted this. Most areas allow substitutions only at own throw-in, any goal kick, after a goal, at the start of the second half, after an injury, or after a caution so NOT at a penalty kick.

Read other questions answered by Referee Keith Contarino

View Referee Keith Contarino profile

Answer provided by Referee Chuck Fleischer

The keeper changing places with an outfield player is a right afforded under Law 3, provided the referee is notified the change will take place. The referee may not refuse this change. To replace the keeper with a substitute depends entirely on whether or not the league in which you play has modified Law 3 to be specific stoppages rather than any stoppage.


Read other questions answered by Referee Chuck Fleischer

View Referee Chuck Fleischer profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 21012
Read other Q & A regarding Law 3 - Number of Players

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.