Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 22671

Law 3 - Number of Players 12/26/2009

RE: competitive High School

Louie of new orleans, la us asks...

If a goalkeeper is given a red card and sent off for handling the ball outside the box on a goal scoring opportunity by the opponent, during the sendoff, can a substitute goalkeeper come into the game for a field player or must the team use a player currently on the field (with or without a goalkeeper jersey)?

Answer provided by Referee Gary Voshol

In a game played under the Laws of the Game, a substitution is allowed at any stoppage. Play is stopped for the foul and sendoff so a substitution can happen.

However, many youth league rules restrict when a substitution can take place. Common times are goal kicks, throw ins, following a goal, etc. I have never yet seen any youth rules which say, 'Or when the goalkeeper is sent off.' In games played under those rules, the sent-off goalkeeper would have to be replaced with one of the players on the field.

As I recall NFHS (high school) rules, substitution times are limited. My colleagues who work NFHS games could confirm whether dismissal of a goalkeeper is one of the allowable substitution opportunities.

In any game, the new goalkeeper would have to be properly attired. Gloves and extra pads are not required, but the uniquely colored jersey is. We will wait while the new goalkeeper gets dressed.

Read other questions answered by Referee Gary Voshol

View Referee Gary Voshol profile

Answer provided by Referee Steve Montanino

If the team had substitutes remaining, then they may substitute a field player off and replace him with the keeper. But remember, the team must play short by one player.

Read other questions answered by Referee Steve Montanino

View Referee Steve Montanino profile

Answer provided by Referee Dennis Wickham

Under high school rules, the disqualification (red card) of a player is a substitution opportunity. A substitute could enter the match to become the goalkeeper, and a field player would leave so that the team plays short.

Read other questions answered by Referee Dennis Wickham

View Referee Dennis Wickham profile

Answer provided by Referee Keith Contarino

As Ref Wickham points out, the NFHS Rule Book allows for substitutions at a disqualification (red card). Specifically;

Rule 3-3-2d: ?????.either team may substitute an unlimited number of players provided they have checked in??.when a player from either team is disqualified.

Of course, the disqualified player may not be substituted for. In this case, the keeper is disqualified so he comes off the field and the substitute goalkeeper substitutes for a field player and thus the team plays short. I'd also point out if the coach wanted one of the field players to become the keeper, he could do that with a keeper change without a substitution. The keeper leaves and the team still plays short

Read other questions answered by Referee Keith Contarino

View Referee Keith Contarino profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 22671
Read other Q & A regarding Law 3 - Number of Players

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.