Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 22836

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct 2/17/2010

RE: competitive & highschool Under 18

William of san antonio, texas usa asks...

In a recent high school match a player was given a red card for tripping another player. The player was only shown a red. The player had not received any other yellows in the match. I am a certified ref and I was taught that you had to show both a yellow and a red. I was also told that you can only contest the red card when the proper procedure was not followed. Is this true? Does our player have a chance at playing in the next game if we complain?

Answer provided by Referee Michelle Maloney

Not in Texas - the UIL (University Interscholastic League) does not allow appeals to decisions of the referee in high school.

A yellow and a red together are for specific situations - when a player has received two cautions in the same game, and acts which delay the restart of play excessively. The player is out of the game, but his team does not play short.

A red card for tripping says to me the player was guilty of violent conduct or serious foul play - meaning the trip endangered the safety of the opponent. That is a straight red, no replacement and the player does not play that game, or the next (local district rules may alter the suspension making it longer, but not shorter).

Read other questions answered by Referee Michelle Maloney

View Referee Michelle Maloney profile

Answer provided by Referee Jason Wright

The only time you must show a yellow card before showing a red card is when the player is being cautioned for the trip and it's a second cautionable offence - or, the player commits a sending off offence after the cautionable offence.

Any other time a player can certainly be shown a straight red card if a foul is committed using excessive force or brutality or otherwise endangers the safety of the opponent.

Even if it's his first foul of the match.

Sounds like you have no basis for complaint and the referee has, in fact, followed procedure.

Read other questions answered by Referee Jason Wright

View Referee Jason Wright profile

Answer provided by Referee Steve Montanino

The only way - and apparently in TX it won't matter - you would have a leg to stand on is if the referee admitted to your team that the player did not commit serious foul play or violent conduct but still disqualified the player (straight red card).

Remember that in HS serious foul play includes the 'last man' scenario which is 'denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity by committing an offense punishable by a free kick.' Often such fouls may appear minor but are mandated disqualifications because of the result of the foul.

Read other questions answered by Referee Steve Montanino

View Referee Steve Montanino profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 22836
Read other Q & A regarding Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.