Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 31104

High School 12/11/2016

RE: Select High School

Marc of Walnut Creek, CA United States asks...

I understand that NFHS rules state that once the keeper places the ball for a goal kick, it cannot be moved (to the other side of the 6 yard box). However, what is the penalty if they do? Is this considered time wasting and deserves a caution? just a warning? IFK for other team? Thanks!

Answer provided by Referee Joe McHugh

Hi Marc

Under high school rules, moving the ball after it is spotted at a goal kick is expressly forbidden. The only penalty under the rules, however, is to retake the goal kick. If a player ignores a warning to get on with the kick the player may be cautioned for delaying the restart of play.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe McHugh

View Referee Joe McHugh profile

Answer provided by Referee Richard Dawson

Hi Marc,
as to WHY anyone would choose to do this we can surmise that it is done with the intent of faking out the opposition to get a easier pass to their defenders on the opposite side of the field. A referee aware of the rules would simply warn the kicker to leave it and get on with it . If the kicker was obtuse and decided to do so anyway or continue to run about after first placing the ball and then picking it up to replace it, he could be a cautioned and the culprit shown a yellow card for such a silly decision to delay the restart but the restart remains a goal kick. This occurs mostly in youth or in inexperienced recreational matches. Once known as a fact it is hard to say you forgo so simple preseason review should solve such antics.! In High school they force the cautioned player to be subbed so a heavy burden if this was your best keeper or defender.
Cheers & Merry Christmas

Read other questions answered by Referee Richard Dawson

View Referee Richard Dawson profile

Answer provided by Referee Joe Manjone

As you indicated, under NFHS Rules, once the ball is placed for a goal kick, it cannot be moved from that spot to another. Moving the ball will result in a delay of the restart of the game which is considered unsporting conduct (NFHS Rule 12-8-1f2) and the player that moved the ball is to be cautioned and must leave the field and may be replaced. The game is to be restarted with a goal kick by the team that was originally awarded the goal kick. This is one rule that is often covered in the pre-season clinics that officials associations conduct for high school coaches and players, so that all players should be aware of the rule. Does your association conduct pre-season clinics for the high schools that it contracts with? If not, it should as these meetings result in fewer problems with teams and coaches during the season. I hope that 2016 was a good officiating year for you.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe Manjone

View Referee Joe Manjone profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 31104
Read other Q & A regarding High School

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.