Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 31623

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct 6/29/2017

RE: Competitive Adult

Jack of Sydney, New South Wales Australia asks...

This question is a follow up to question 31622

Thanks Joe for your answer. I agree that is is very unclear, and could use some further clarification by IFAB.

Do you have a copy of or link to the correspondence from Mr Elleray and IFAB that you have referred to in this answer? I would be very interested to read it.

To vary this scenario a little further to include a far more common scenario - what restart would you apply if a substitute was to direct dissent or abusive language towards the referee and play was stopped to caution or send them off?

I can't find this one listed in the Laws either, and for that reason my guess would be that it would also be a dropped ball. I'm also guessing that this would be the same for a listed team official for which play was stopped to remove them.

In contrast, by reading the text in Law 12, Section 4, if this was a player temporarily off the field of play for which play was stopped to caution or send-them off for verbal offences, the restart here would instead be an indirect free kick on the closest boundary line, right?

Answer provided by Referee Joe McHugh

Hi Jack
The reply from IFAB was by way of email from Mr Elleray.
The difference with the dissent, offensive insulting and abusive language situation is that the action has an effect ON the field of play by a player or a substitute off the field of play . Throwing an object from off to on the field of play is treated as ON the FOP for offence purposes.
So my take would be that it is an IDFK from on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred.
The LotG is explicit that verbal offences are punished with an indirect FK.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe McHugh

View Referee Joe McHugh profile

Answer provided by Referee Peter Grove

Hi Jack,
You are right that this is not specifically addressed in the Laws. The nearest situation I can find is where the law says that ''If a substitute [...] throws or kicks an object onto the field of play and it interferes with play, an opponent or match official, play is restarted with a direct free kick (or penalty kick).''

However, as Ref McHugh points out, the law specifies that a direct free kick can only be given for a physical offence against a match official and so I agree with him that the decision should be an indirect free kick on the boundary line nearest where the offence took place.

I would also mention that in instances that I have seen where a substitute or team official is showing dissent or using abusive language this is often dealt with at the next stoppage in play so the restart would be based on the reason play had been stopped.

Read other questions answered by Referee Peter Grove

View Referee Peter Grove profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 31623
Read other Q & A regarding Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct

The following questions were asked as a follow up to the above question...

See Question: 31656

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.