Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 32226

Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct 2/10/2018

RE: Sunday League Adult

Patrick of Hitchin, Hetrs England asks...

Can a referee give a yellow card to a linesman for leaving the field of play without the refs permission ?

Answer provided by Referee Richard Dawson

HI Patrick,
You understand the AR is a NEUTRAL assistant referee whereas as a linesman is a non neutral club appointed person?

if an AR or a club appointed linesman chooses to dissociate themselves with the match be it for any reason the CR would not show any cards as they are reserved for the PLAYERS, subs or substituted players only!
The CR will file a match report stating the absence and his knowledge of it! It is possible the CR might be able to find a substitute AR or a club linesman to assist but unless the ROC state the match CAN NOT be done without ARs the match would likely still be able to finish!

Read other questions answered by Referee Richard Dawson

View Referee Richard Dawson profile

Answer provided by Referee Joe McHugh

Hi Patrick
Cards are only shown to players, substitutes and substituted players so no card can be shown to a club linesman. It makes no sense as what purpose does it serve. The referee can report the individual or the club for failing to provide a linesman or if the linesman was abusive towards the referee.
For me if a club linesman decides to walk off so be it. I would just ask the club to provide a replacement. If there is verbal abuse it can be reported.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe McHugh

View Referee Joe McHugh profile

Answer provided by Referee Jason Wright

Hi Patrick,
Cards cannot be shown to other match officials.
However - if, say, we're talking about a Club AR who is also a substitute for that game, then because they're a substitute they can be cautioned. I don't know that abandoning the CAR duties should warrant a card, but I suppose it could be interpreted as dissent, especially depending on the situation.

Read other questions answered by Referee Jason Wright

View Referee Jason Wright profile

Answer provided by Referee Peter Grove

Hi Patrick,
Firstly, it depends on what you mean by 'linesman' - if you mean a neutral Assistant Referee then no, as the law says that:

''Only a player, substitute or substituted player may be shown the red or yellow card.''

If you are talking about a substitute or substituted player from one of the teams who is 'running the line' then theoretically that person can be cautioned - although not for leaving the field without permission as that only applies to players on the field.

A substitute or substituted player acting as a club AR could be cautioned if, for instance they were guilty of dissent or some other form of misconduct but that would not normally be the case if all they have done is walk away from the line.

Read other questions answered by Referee Peter Grove

View Referee Peter Grove profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 32226
Read other Q & A regarding Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.