Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 33347

High School 5/14/2019

RE: School Under 15

Lisset of Bastrop, Texas United States asks...

I broke my left radius and now Im wearing a hard cast. I was wondering if I was still allowed to play soccer in school with the hard cast wrapped ?

Answer provided by Referee Joe McHugh

Hi Lisset
I would advise you to speak with the athletic director at your school
As a general rule any hard/unyielding item on the hand (including thumb/fingers), wrist, forearm, elbow, upper arm or shoulder must be covered and padded with a closed cell, slow recovery foam no less than 1/2' thick.
In addition a medical release for the injured player signed by a licensed medical physician may be required.
As we mentioned on other questions the use of a cast is to aid the healing process by effectively immobilising the injured limb. Playing sports while injured increases the risk of further injury or delaying the recovery. As a young player I broke my arm playing soccer and I had no choice but to sit out games for the duration. At the time it was difficult yet it was done to aid the healing process. After the cast was removed I was back playing with no complications.
Interestingly in a FIFA game the use of a covered hard cast would not be allowed. A soft cast or brace would be acceptable provided it posed no risk but not hard casts.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe McHugh

View Referee Joe McHugh profile

Answer provided by Referee Peter Grove

Hi Lisset,
Although NFHS rules would allow for this if the conditions mentioned by ref McHugh are fulfilled, I would have to echo his thoughts about the advisability of playing a vigorous physical sport with a broken bone in your arm, even when it is protected by a cast. Personally, I just don't think there is any game that is important enough to risk aggravating an existing injury for.

Read other questions answered by Referee Peter Grove

View Referee Peter Grove profile

Answer provided by Referee Joe Manjone


You can play if the cast is covered and padded with a closed cell, slow recovery foam no less than 1/2' thick. In high school games, a medical release is no longer required, but I do recommend that you get your physician's approval before playing.
I wish you well.

Read other questions answered by Referee Joe Manjone

View Referee Joe Manjone profile

Answer provided by Referee Richard Dawson

HI Lisset,
while accommodations CAN be made and the heart screams please let me play I think the brain needs to override that impulse for safely to themselves but also consider the referee will not look favorably if a ball strikes it for deliberate handling or he swings that arm or extends it out in a challenge . That said be careful.

Read other questions answered by Referee Richard Dawson

View Referee Richard Dawson profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 33347
Read other Q & A regarding High School

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.