Soccer Referee Resources
Ask a Question
Recent Questions

RSS FEED Subscribe Now!

Q&A Quick Search
The Field of Play
The Ball
The Players
The Players Equipment
The Referee
The Other Match Officials
The Duration of the Match
The Start and Restart of Play
The Ball In and Out of Play
Fouls and Misconduct
Free Kicks
Penalty kick
Throw In
Goal Kick
Corner Kick

Common Sense
Kicks - Penalty Mark
The Technical Area
The Fourth Official
Attitude and Control
League Specific
High School

Common Acronyms
Meet The Ref
Contact AskTheRef
Help Wanted
About AskTheRef
Panel Login

Question Number: 5268


Don Swanton of Chicago, IL USA asks...

Over the winter I have come down with plantar surface fasciaitus: tendonitis on the bottom surface of the foot. I haven't been able to run and have been complaining to anyone who will listen. Two other referees about my age have also had this semi-debilitating condition, so it must be fairly common among middle aged referees. Does any of you know of anything that might help, other than orthotic inserts and patience?

Answer provided by Referee Keith Contarino

See a sports podiatrist asap

Read other questions answered by Referee Keith Contarino

View Referee Keith Contarino profile

Answer provided by Referee Gartenhaus

Dan,.I had a heel spur (Plantar fasciaitus) a few years ago, and this was what the podiatrist had me do, and I have not had problems with it since:.1-Never walk barefoot. Always wear shoes or sandals. This is foreever..2-Before I get out of bed each morning and before going to sleep each night, take a towel, hold each end in my hands, and put my toes in the loop. Then stretch my foot continuously for five minutes. Do this for about 2 weeks after it stops hurting..3-Wear good shoes. Shoes with the most cleats (turf shoes) or flat soles are best because they minimize the pressure on any one spot of your feet..4-Don't start running until your feet do not hurt anymore...This is what worked for me, and I was cured with one office visit. Some people may need more treatment. Let an Orthopedic specialist or Podiatrist help you decide..Good luck.

Read other questions answered by Referee Gartenhaus

View Referee Gartenhaus profile

Ask a Follow Up Question to Q# 5268
Read other Q & A regarding Fitness

Soccer Referee Extras

Did you Ask the Ref? Find your answer here.

Enter Question Number

If you received a response regarding a submitted question enter your question number above to find the answer

Offside Question?

Offside Explained by Chuck Fleischer & Richard Dawson, Former & Current Editor of AskTheRef

This web site and the answers to these questions are not sanctioned by or affiliated with any governing body of soccer. The opinions expressed on this site should not be considered official interpretations of the Laws of the Game and are merely opinions of AskTheRef and our panel members. If you need an official ruling you should contact your state or local representative through your club or league. On AskTheRef your questions are answered by a panel of licensed referees. See Meet The Ref for details about our panel members.